Final touches and end product

After stuffing comes handsewing the last small gap and scraping all the seams to get all the fur out. And this is the end result!! 

Sewing (Part 2) & Stuffing

After everything was embroidered I could sew everthing together. 

Lining out the patterns, making sure everything flows into the other pattern. Thats the hardest part to do, but quite fun. Seeing it all come together is the best part and most fullfilling. 

After it turned into an empty shell, it was time to give it some shape and make it alive. A mixture of beads and filling went into this plushie. It always surprises me how much filling goes into one. Reshaping it, pushing everything into the right corners and Cufant was born.

Embroidery (Part 2)

The embroideries are finished!

Next part: Sewing the body!

 

Sewing (part 1)

For today I focused on the head of Cufant.  Sewing together the head pieces and the ears.

After the head pieces are sewn together, I’ve sewn the snout pieces.

Turned it inside out and it’s ready to be sewn on the body!

This is the result so far.  I have to get back to the embroidery machine to do the rest of the pieces.

Pattern (part 4)

After creating the second prototype I marked the final details on it.  After choosing from the options how I want to sew it, I transfered it on the paper patterns.

 

 

Prototype (part 3)

Cufant so far!
I now know the placings of the “micky mouse hat” on top of its head. I only need to find out how Iwant the feet on the plushie.

It’s a bit hard to shape, since fleece is so different to the wellness fleece 😂

Prototype (part 2)

After finishing the embroideries and fixing the mistakes that has been made,
I move on on putting the patterned fabrics together.

I’m halfway now with embroidering and sewing the parts together.
The face needs a third time fix, but overall it goes quite well.

 I’m not taking much photo’s of the process, cause it’s a lot of trial and error.
Of course I’ll show you when the real deal is going to get embroidered and sewn, cause thats the extra fun part! 😁

 

 

Embroidery testing (part 1)

After creating the embroideries in the computer it’s time to test them out.
It doesn’t always look the same as in the realistic looking embroidery in the program, so one way to find out!

As you can see some things went right and other less, but thats part of it and also why prototypes are important. 

I will make another prototype to see the embroideries are overlapping on each other and to see the placing of the circles on the head. 

After this one I think it’s ready to start with the final Cufant -so exited-!

Pattern (part 3)

After making the pattern on paper, some parts also needs to be digitalized.
These parts will be embroidered.

I scan the pieces into the computer and use a drawing program. There are several that can be used for this step. Everyone would say Photoshop, but I’m an odd one and use Clip Studio 😂.

After scanning I upload them in the program, trace the lines and save the parts I need. Not only will it look smoother than what I have drawn, it’s also the right colors I need it to be so the embroidery program will recognize the pieces better (which saves me a lot of work).

Pattern (part 2)

After finishing the prototype I saw a lot of things I wasn’t satisfied with. I had made a brand new pattern to make it easier for me to sew, but I simply it didn’t look as beautiful as the first one. So back to the drawing board! I always make a “moedervel” (I couldn’t find the translation for it) of every project I make. It’s like the first pattern you make you can always go back to if something doesn’t add up or want to verify. I have redrawn the belly and the feet and the rest is for the next part.

Prototype (part 1)

After finishing the pattern, I always make a prototype to see if everything I have drawn is correct in size and in position. Especially when it’s a complete new pattern, there al always tiny flaws that don’t add up or I haven’t thought through and will look quite silly. 

I always use cheap fleece with this part. It’s not the same as wellness fleece, so it won’t look that smooth after stitching. But I still am able to see what needs some work.

I usually glue paper details on it like the eyes, but this time I used fabric since I will adjust the paper pattern and not going to use the fleece parts as a pattern.

Fabrics

The fabrics arrived!

Orange for the body, green for the details and snout,
a little beige/sand color for his belly and off white for the toes and drop shape.

Unfortunately my roommate caught Covid last week and I couldn’t escape from it.
I hope to get back on this project as soon as possible 😢

Research & Pattern (part 1)

I always gather all the materials I can find on a character.
Since it’s not a very popular Pokémon I used a lot of video footage of the game and made screenshots. I never use fanart cause it’s not to scale to the original character. I tried to measure the images a bit,  imagining how I want the pattern to be and scaling it to the size I wanted and just started sketching.

 

For now I got the sides, back, belly, snout and eyes on paper.

It looks a bit silly for now, but it will make more sense later on! 😁